How often can you say that you get to make a difference in someone’s life while also doing what you love? As a volunteer with United Way of Greater Nashua, I am lucky to enjoy both! I utilize my skills and passion for digital marketing as an opportunity to help spread the message to LIVE UNITED.
I’ve had a passion for business since I was young and as I grew older, marketing became the obvious path in the business world that I wanted to take. I’ve also always had a passion for helping others. As a sophomore at Plymouth State University in 2008, my passions for business and helping others combined for the first time. My roommate and I decided to help a local business with the new ways of digital marketing. We were able to help the business grow substantially by using Facebook to reach its customers. This experience not only gave me satisfaction in my early professional life, but it also gave me an amazing feeling to help a business in my college community grow. I decided to carry this feeling with me for the rest of my life and incorporate it into the business model for JBrand Media, a marketing agency that I launched at the age of 25. I was determined not only to build a successful business, but also to help others while doing it whenever possible.
During the summer of 2014, I came across an opportunity to volunteer with United Way of Greater Nashua and help expand its digital presence. Before I could even finish reading the volunteer description, I was already sending an email to inquire about the position. To reference the classic movie Jerry Maguire, it was a “you had me at hello” type of moment. I draft e-newsletters and social media posts, interview members of the Greater Nashua community who help make a difference, write blog articles for the UWGN website, and help with other fun tasks. I’ve had the honor to interview some amazing individuals, including:
- The director of the Nashua Child Development Center, who runs a quality, affordable childcare program for working families
- The Nashua Public Library director, who volunteers on UWGN’s Community Investment Panel
- A former Girls Inc. client, who now works as cooking director at the agency’s Nashua facility
I am inspired by these and other people who make an impact in the Greater Nashua community. Just as I am inspired by others, you can inspire your friends and family to help make a positive impact by getting involved with UWGN in any one of the following ways:
- GIVE. – Make a donation of any amount to support UWGN’s work that addresses the region’s greatest needs
- ADVOCATE. – Share UWGN’s message through its Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn accounts, or submit your own story about how you’ve made a difference
- VOLUNTEER. – Sign up for our volunteer opportunities e-newsletter and check out links to volunteer matching services
Great things happen when we LIVE UNITED.